Chai , Tea ...hmmm it is very popular drink all over the world and hundred of thousands of different varieties of tea is available now a days. Brewing it with so many spices and blends with fruits and herbs .
I am not a chai lover since childhood till now. My mom said Chai is not good for kids so me and my both brothers were used to have milk (chocolate, bournvita) or plain milk or any kind of flavoured milk. So, I have never tried chai. somehow I didn't like the aroma of chai and still sometimes get headache , may be I am not used to. But I tried green tea and it works because I don't brew it too much. Green tea , ginger,lemon and honey, I love this combination early in the morning to refresh and rejuvenate my body with this Detox drink.
I usually don't go out for coffee or tea because I love to make it at home so I can make it as per my taste. well , not all of kind but still few of my choices.
Ok so, me and my family got chance to try Kashmiri chai at Remedy Cafe in Edmonton with our friend in cold winter night and I was fall in love with it. Amazing flavour and taste. You basically won't taste it like tea tea taste but aromatic hot milk I would rather say. I was wondering how do they make it? Always being curious if I like the food or drink or art. then I got another chance to try Iced Kashmiri chai couple of weeks ago. And that was perfect for hot summer day. I love the garnishing and taste of chai. Love it!
So finally I have made it!!!! yesss, and it was just perfect.
hmmm sometimes recipe won't allow you to make as perfect as the creator of it makes but never give up until you achived the best result. Trial and error is always there.
Here you go!
1 cup kashmiri tea leaves (you can use green tea leaves as well if you can't find kashmiri tea leaves)
2 cups cold water
2 cups milk (I have used 2% milk)
6 cardamom pods
2 small star anise
1'' cinnamon stick piece
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Sugar as per taste
Almond and pistachio finely chopped for garnishing
- In medium deep pot , boil water at medium heat.
- while water is boiling, take coffee filter paper and put tea leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, star anise and tied with cotton thread.
- Once water is boiling, place tea leaves bag in boiling water.
- Add salt and baking soda
- Let it boil for 15 to 20 minutes .
- Color of water will start changing into red.
- Boil water till reduced half of the actual quantity.
- switched off the stove and takeout teabag from water
- Add 6 to 7 ice cubes in tea and immediately stir continuously for 8 to 10 minutes to create foam
- Switch on the stove and let it boil again
- Add milk and sugar and boil it.
- Once you are adding milk you can see the change of tea color into pink
- Brew it for another 15 minutes
- Serve in your favorite mug Garnished with almond and pistachio.
Hope you like it.!!!
Enjoy flavorful Kashmiri chai at home.