Mohanthal my favourite famous Rajasthani and Gujarati Sweet. Its's signature dish which you never say no once you see it.My mom makes the best mohanthal and i have tried it so many times but I never got the same taste and texture as she served.Now I have started trying this and following my mom's instructions and I got proper texture and taste but still her love and taste is missing.
Well it has lots of calories but once in a while you can enjoy the super delicious Mohanthal. I usually love to make it in festival, so I can eat without guilt ,lolll
Tricky thing is sugar syrup. so you should follow these steps:
- One-thread consistency is when a single thread is formed (and does not break) when your forefinger and your thumb are pulled apart gently.
- Two-thread consistency is when two threads are formed (and do not break) when your forefinger and your thumb are pulled apart gently. This stage is also called the soft-ball stage - when a drop of syrup of this consistency is dropped into a bowl of cold water, it forms a soft ball.
- Three-thread consistency is when three threads are formed (and do not break) when your forefinger and your thumb are pulled apart gently. This stage is also called the hard-ball stage - when a drop of syrup of this consistency is dropped into a bowl of cold water, it forms a hard ball
2 cups Besan (gram flour)
1 1/2 cup clarified butter (ghee)
8 cardamom crushed into powder
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup water
1/3 cup full fat milk
4 tablespoon almonds chopped
4 tablespoon pistachio chopped
2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Heat water and sugar in pot on medium heat
- Stir the liquid and let it boil
- Add few drops of milk in syrup ,so impurity of sugar will come out on top of the syrup. take it out from syrup.
- stir the syrup and check the consistency of syrup. it should be 1 1/2 thread consistency .
- once you get the consistency switch off the stove and keep aside.
- Place the gram flour in a wide bowl.
- Heat ghee and pour half of it over the flour.
- Rub the ghee into the gram flour with the palms till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Heat the remaining ghee.
- Add the flour and stir continuously till golden brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add the golden browned gram flour to the sugar syrup and stir well.
- add saffron and cardamom powder and stir.
- Pour into a greased tray and spread evenly.Garnish with almonds,poppy seeds and pistachios and allow to cool for 4 to5 hours.
- Cut into squares.