Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Garlic Tomato Rice Bowl

It is too hot today, it reminds me  of an Indian summer :(

I was away from home for 3-4 days and we had great time with our friends. Whenever we have travel plans, my food choices became limited, but now there are no worries because you can find vegetarian options, vegan meal, and healthy food everywhere. My husband always picks a restaurant where I can get vegetarian food or vegan food easily. We went to Cactus Club Cafe few times and I just loved the food. I was looking at the menu and I found fajitas and I just loved it! Black beans, salsa, grilled vegetables and more and I asked them to eliminate chicken. Also, you can have the jambalaya rice bowl too.

Mostly we all love rice, in different preparations or just by itself. I always try to create rice recipes and this one is our favorite. I used garlic mostly in all curries and in all spicy dishes to get the best aroma and taste and also garlic is healthy too.


Cancer , Interrupted: Garlic & Flavonoids









Garlic Tomato Rice Bowl







 Ingredients (serves 5):

1 1/2 cup long grain basmati rice
1/2 teaspoon shahi jeera
3 pods of black cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 cup tomato puree
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
11/2 tablespoon garlic paste
1/4 cup onion finely chopped
1/2 tablespoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon spring onion
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder


Procedure:


  1. Wash rice 2-3 times with water and soak in water for 30 minutes in medium sized pot.
  2. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, shahi jeera and cardamom in soaked rice.
  3. In small pan heat 2 1/2 tablespoon of oil at medium heat .
  4. Add cumin seeds and add chopped onion. Saute onion for 5-6 minutes until onion becomes light brown. Lower the heat.
  5. Add garlic paste and saute for 2-3 minutes.
  6. Add tomato puree, 1/2 teaspoon salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cilantro and stir well for 6-7 minutes.
  7. Let it cool down and set aside.
  8. Now boil rice at medium high heat and add 1/2 tablespoon oil.
  9. After 15-17 minutes check if rice is almost done but should not be over cooked.
  10. Drain excess water through sieve and let rice cool for 5 minutes.
  11. Mix rice and tomato mixture well and heat for 5 more minutes to incorporate well.
  12. Serve in serving bowl and garnished with spring onion.





This is what I like to order  from Cactus Club Cafe menu:

Jambalaya rice bowl

Fajitas

No comments: